Veterinary Student / Veterinary Technician Student Externship
Summerfields Animal Hospital usually hosts 2-3 students each year in our active externship program. We have an experienced and compassionate veterinary and technical team who are eager to share their skills and knowledge to help you develop your talent. You will be well supported and have several opportunities to practice developing and enhancing your veterinary or technician skills. We want you to make a list of your most important learning objectives so we can make sure these areas are addressed specifically and that you have the time, caseload, and opportunities to learn and practice. We’re here to help in developing a good foundation for your future.
We do not provide a stipend. This is a learning experience for you, involving a significant investment of our time. We look forward to hearing from you!
Conditions Of Application for Veterinary Student/Veterinary Technician Student Externship:
- Availability for all clinic hours during the externship period.
- Externship period availability of at least 2 consecutive weeks.
- Reliable transportation.
- Active membership in Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA).
- Willingness to read, sign, and abide by all conditions listed in our employee manual, including those policies related to personal attire, grooming and professional conduct.
- Active participation in hospital rounds, surgery, treatments, and conferences with clients.
- Active participation in the medical record keeping required by our AAHA accredited status.
- Receipt of a letter of reference written and signed by a D.V.M. or C.V.T. member of your College.
To apply for an externship:
Make initial contact with our Medical Director, Jeff Metzler, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposed externship dates and reasons for seeking an externship with us. If our interests mesh and your proposed dates are available, we will ask you to:
- Confirm, in writing, your proposed externship dates.
- Provide a hand-written cover letter detailing your interests and what you hope to accomplish during your externship.
- Provide a copy of your c.v. or resume.
- Provide details of any documentation your College will require from us in support of your externship completion.
- Contact us within 2 weeks of forwarding your materials to our office, to confirm receipt and acceptance into our externship program.